Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lima Gun Show AAR

The Gun Show in Lima did not disappoint. I saw four Colt 1903’s that caught my eye as a result of Tam’s power of suggestion. Still don’t know enough to be a discerning buyer, but I’m working on it. Also looked at an Inland M1 Carbine for a decent price, but the bolt wouldn’t lock back and the rear sight was non-standard and wobbly. I love the Carbine because it’s fun to shoot - so anything wrong with it that would make that hard or unwise was a deal breaker.

Also saw several Mossberg .22’s that beckoned - especially a 42TR smoothbore. Not sure what I’d use it for, but that’s hardly the point.

Lastly I checked out the Ruger 10/22’s on offer. I don’t yet own an American Volksrifle, but I will soon. It truly is, in Breda’s words, the Garanimal of guns. I’ll have to have a much better understanding of what’s a reasonable price for these things before I pick one up.

If there's a common thread running through this post it's that I need to visit a lot more gun shows so that I know what I'm looking at - and what the going rate is for what it is I want.

No comments: